Wednesday, January 17, 2007

American Women

“A gentleman asked me to marry him and I said no,” she recalled. “I told him, ‘I’m just beginning to fly again, I’m just beginning to be me. Don’t take that away.’ ”

Elissa B. Terris, 59, of Marietta, Ga., divorced in 2005 after being married for 34 years and raising a daughter, who is now an adult.

NYTimes story citing Census Bureau figures looks like a close follow up to the Time story on Women in affluent Western Europe.

Read the full story here :

51% of Women Are Now Living Without Spouse

Excerpts :

"For what experts say is probably the first time, more American women are living without a husband than with one"

"Several factors are driving the statistical shift. At one end of the age spectrum, women are marrying later or living with unmarried partners more often and for longer periods. At the other end, women are living longer as widows and, after a divorce, are more likely than men to delay remarriage, sometimes delighting in their newfound freedom"

“The benefits were completely unforeseen for me,” Ms. Fidler said, “the free time, the amount of time I get to spend with friends, the time I have alone, which I value tremendously, the flexibility in terms of work, travel and cultural events.”


Blogger's : Indian media is all praise for Abhishek Bachan who inspite of all odds decided to save Aishwarya Rai though she is a Manglik. For all my readers from Madagascar, Abhishek and Aishwarya are stars and Manglik is something about planets - if that is of any help.

Western Europe and now the US , do we see any light in Asia . I've maintained throughout, its this simple and see - it works !

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen and damn Aishwarya.

~NJ

Alex said...

:)

b v n said...

Nina, damn Sushmita :)

Alex, o sheri :)))

Alex said...

savari giri giri ;))))

b v n said...

poyille chennai ?

Anonymous said...

Ha.

Talk about arranged marriages... (Abi/Aish.)

bombay dosti said...

come on dont give me ideas!!!
and abhishek saved manglik ash!!! now to whihc part of this statement do i puke?

b v n said...

vi, :)

BD, Any side of TOI :)